The Board of Management is the backbone of our school. Made up of teacher, parent and patron representatives, the board's main function is to manage the school on behalf of the patron and the Minister for Education and Skills to benefit of all our students.
The school principal is responsible for the day-to-day management of the school and is accountable to the board.
In carrying out its functions, the board must;
- Act in accordance with Ministerial policy
- Uphold the ethos of the school and be accountable to the patron for this. The word ethos is not used in the Education Act 1998. It is described in the Act as the 'characteristic spirit of the school as determined by the cultural, educational, moral, religious, social, linguistic and spiritual values and traditions which inform and are characteristic of the objectives and conduct of the school'.
- Act in accordance with the law and with any deed, charter, or similar instrument relating to the school.
- Consult with and inform the patron of decisions and proposals
- Publish the school's policy on admission to and participation in the school, including its policy on expulsion and suspension of students, admission and participation by students with disabilities or with other special educational needs
- Ensure that the school's admissions policy respects the choices of parents and the principles of equality and that it complies with Ministerial directions, having regard to the school ethos and the constitutional rights of all concerned
- Have regard for the principles and requirements of a democratic society and promote respect for the diversity of values, beliefs, traditions, languages and ways of life in our society
- Have regard to the efficient use of resources (particularly the grants provided by the State), the public interest in the affairs of the school and accountability to students, parents and the community
- Use the resources provided by the State to make reasonable provision and accommodation for students with disabilities or special needs, including, if necessary, the adaptation of buildings or provision of special equipment
The members of the school Board of Management are:
- Mrs Mary McGillicuddy (Chairperson & nominee of the Bishop of Kerry)
- Mrs Ann Flavin (nominee of the Bishop of Kerry)
- Ms Maria O'Gorman (nominee of Kerry ETB)
- Mr Stephen Goulding (nominee of Kerry ETB)
- Mr Andrew McNamara (teacher nominee)
- Mr Kevin O'Keeffe (teacher nominee)
- Mrs Niam Wall (parental nominee)
- Professor Michael Walsh (parental nominee)
Should you wish to communicate with the Board of Management you may do so by writing to the Secretary of the Board at the school address, or contacting either of the parent’s nominees, again using the school address. All correspondence addressed to members of the Board is treated as private and confidential and is not opened in the school.